Thursday, July 31, 2008

Democrat or Republican? What other choice do I have?!?


When it comes to politics I have always tried to define myself as a Liberal Republican or a Conservative Democrat. Lets just say I have never been incredibly thrilled with the complete platform of either of the American parties.

When I spent time in Jerusalem in the summer of 2000 I was very intrigued by the number of different options that the Israeli people have when it comes to political parties. It seems like it was easier for them to find a candidate that they could truly agree with in most ways.

I have often wondered why with so many candidates running for political office, and with so many viewpoints of those candidates, why is there still an option to vote a straight ticket for one party or the other? Isn’t that exactly what George Washington warned us not to do in his farewell address in 1796? Did he not advise us to avoid excessive political party spirit?

So what is it going to be! Democrat or Republican? Can I really stand 100% with either?

If you hear what I am saying you may want to check out a political party that my friend Jeremy Manning has been talking about for years now, the Libertarians. I have seen Jeremy blog about these guys for a long time but I have never really checked them out until recently. The Libertarian Party may not be the answer to all of my political problems but the more I learn about them the more I like them. It seems to be a nice cool fresh breath of air in a very smoggy polluted world of American politics.

2 comments:

KCJaques said...

The founding fathers warned that the destruction of this country will only happen from within and not by outside efforts. It will happen if the government fails to represent the people and focus solely on the desires of their own party.

******* There are some stars just incase you did not feel a sudden shock by what was said. There is no arguing that the parties, atleast the dems and reps, only seem to listen to their fellow party-men and/or simply oppose the opposites agenda.

KCJaques said...

I now nominate Genna for president!!!